There are lots of posts out there about how to blog and what to do/what not to do.
But they do focus on ‘rules’ quite a lot, and I’m not sure where these unwritten rules have come from. Your blog is personal to you so the only rule of blogging should be ‘blog about what you love’!
Having said that people do often ask about setting up a blog and any advice so, here are 5 things I wish I knew when I started my blog:
- Do your own PR: People won’t know who you are unless you constantly tell them and show them what you’re about. That goes for readers and companies.
- Feel the heat: Don’t feel pressured to blog every day, every week etc… Blog when you have something to say rather than for the sake of it.
- Partner in crime: A lot of bloggers will happily go to events together and share tips and advice – it’s a community not a competition.
- If you don’t ask you don’t get: With so many bloggers out there, sometimes you have to ask if you want something!
- There are no rules!
And 5 pieces of advice I always remember:
- Hands up: If a company gifts you an item, be honest, don’t say you went on a shopping spree or had a beauty haul – say you were offered something to review.
- Spelling bee: Correct spelling and grammar is important, no matter what anyone else says.
- Sight for sore eyes: Pictures are SO important. You don’t need an expensive camera but if the only picture you have is fuzzy, don’t use it!
- Race to the finish line: Don’t rush a post just to be the first to write about something, everyone’s take on it will (should) be different anyway.
- HAVE FUN WITH IT! Blogging can open up some really exciting doors if you take all the opportunities that come your way!